The list post is one of the most popular and readable blog formats on the web. It is composed of — you guessed it — a list, and includes short explanatory paragraphs about each item.
Use your introduction as a way to tell the reader how this collection of ideas will help them. Keep it light by including a personal story. If you have any data that you can include relating to your list, include that in your introduction, too.
Here are some examples of how we use list blog posts here at HubSpot:
- The 7 Worst Types of Headlines (And How to Fix Them)
- 5 Major Challenges Marketers Face (And How to Solve Them)
- The Top 10 Qualities of High-Quality List Posts
Now deliver what you promised in the first section. This is the longest part of the post, so make it easy to read. Use short paragraphs, bullet lists, and bold headings to set different sections apart.
Some common section headers include:
1. Reason #1 why writing a list-based post is helpful
2. Reason #2 why writing a list-based post is super helpful to your marketing
3. Reason #3 why everyone should be writing list-based posts
You can use bulleted lists, numbered list, or multiple headings. Include as many steps, numbers, or bullets that will allow you to discuss your topic thoroughly.
Here are some pointers to make the best possible body of your blog:
- Include visuals
- Include short explanatory phrases in your headers
- At the end, transition into your conclusion
Now it’s time to say goodbye and wrap up your post. Remind your readers of your key takeaway, reiterate what your readers need to do to get the desired result, and ask a question about how they see the topic to encourage comments and conversation. Don’t forget to include a Call-to-Action!
Congratulations! What a lovely list post you’ve created!